The City Council Tourism Business
Name day today:Gunvaldis, Gunvaris, Sandra, Sondra
Latviski English По-русски Teksta versija Mainīt teksta izmēru
Monday, September 15
4:59
Currency rates *
( 12.09.2014.)
EUR -
USD - 1.2931
GBP - 0.7966
Historical buildings and sites *
Title Address Description Photos
Jelgava Palace
Lielā Street 2, Jelgava, LV-3001
Telephone: +371 63005617
Constructed from 1737, when the 14th century Livonian Order castle was blown up to make place for the new building, has been a residency of dukes and province governors as well as recieved guests like the French King Louis XVIII and was the residence of  Empress of Russia Anna before ascending to the throne.
Academia Petrina
Akadēmijas Street 10, Jelgava, LV-3001
Telephone: +371 63023383
A grammar school “Academia Petrina” was built after Duke Peter Biron proposal and designed by Danish architect Severin Jensen. Now the building houses Gederts Elias Museum of History and Art.
Tower of Holy Trinity Lutheran Church
Akadēmijas Street 1, Jelgava, LV-3002
The oldest church in Jelgava was once situated here. It was built from 1574 to 1625 and destroyed during WWII. The tower was renovated in 2010.
St. Anna's Lutheran Cathedral
Lielā Street 22a, Jelgava
Telephone: +371 63025515
This Lutheran church is the oldest building in Jelgava. The foundation act was approved in 1567 and the stone church was built during 1638-1641. An oak tree was planted next to the church in 1883, celebrating the 400th birthday of Martin Luther.
Roman Catholic Cathedral of the Virgin Maria
Telephone: +371 63029702
Katoļu Street 11, Jelgava, LV-3000
The Catholic Cathedral of Virgin Maria by the architect Kārlis Strandmanis was built in 1906 in pseudo-gothic style. Roman Catholic Pope John Paul II institutionalized it as a Cathedral in 1996.
St. Simon and Ann Orthodoxy Cathedral
Raiņa Street 5, Jelgava, LV-3001
Telephone: +371 63020207
The church was designed  by architect N. Chagin and built during 1890-1892, with the financial support of Russian Czar Alexander III. The altar and foundation remained from the previous church which was built in 1774 after the design of architect F.B. Rastrelli. It was devastated in WWII and renovated between 1993 and 2003.
St. Johan's Lutheran Church
Jāņa Street 1, Jelgava, LV 3001 
Telephone: +371 63023790
St. John's Church was built from 1845 and the spire finished in 1882. It was owned by St. John's German congregation.
Baptist church
Mātera Street 54, Jelgava, LV-3008
Telephone: +371 63022645
First Baptist gathering took place in 1870, but the first chapel was built in 1882. In 1986 it was pulled down and overhauled. The new church was sheeted with boards, that’s how the primeval look of church was preserved.
Love Alley
Dobeles Road aside
Monument from nineteenth century has been preserved aside Dobeles Road. It is marmoreal urn over Tečs (Tech) place of a grave. The second monument – granite obelisk for Švanders (Shvander) – was destroyed after the Second Great war.
Valdeka Palace
Rīgas Street 22, Jelgava, LV-3004
This Roman-gothic style palace was built in the 17th century and originally was a hunting palace with park, owned by Baron von der Rekke. The Palace was rebuilt in 19th century. Currently it is the property of the Latvia University of Agriculture.
Old City
The oldest city construction part, which was not destroyed in World War II is located in the crossing of Dobeles, Vecpilsētas (Old city) and Jāņa Asara Streets. This housing scheme was built from 18 till 19 century and it is national town planning monument.
Dormition of the Most-holy Mother of God Orthodox Church
Dzirnavu Street 1 Jelgava
Telephone: +371 63021006
The church was built in 1890 as a chapel, but after WWII it was adapted to be used as a church.
Jelgava Station
Stacijas Street 1, Jelgava, LV-3001
Jelgava Station was built in 1870. Rīga-Jelgava railway was opened in 1868.
Stacija
Villa Medem
In the territory of Uzvaras (Victory) Park
Count Medem's Palace was built in 1818 and is located near Jelgava market, in the territory of Uzvaras (Victory) Park. The architect was Johann Berlitz and the mansion was built in the manner of Classicism. Nowadays the building is private property and is not open for visitors.
www.jelgava.lv © 2002-2014, Izstrādājis SIA DatorCentrs