Monuments, monumental stones and plaques

 Name Location Description
Memorial sign in honor of the singer Nora Bumbiere
In the square behind the Jelgava Culture House, Jelgava

Memorial sign in honor of the singer Nora Bumbiere

 

In the square behind the Jelgava Culture House, a 6.2 meters high statue dedicated to the owner of outstanding voice Nora Bumbiere is placed. The author of the statue K. Īle has united two songs of Nora Bumbiere Song about the last leaf and Mute song. On the bottom of the statue according to the song's lyrics burn while searching for your voice is a stylized bonfire from which rises a smooth whirlwind that has dragged along a few maple leaves. On the biggest of the maple leaves is a fluent portrait of Nora Bumbiere.
 
Monument to the First President of the Republic of Latvia - Jānis Čakste
Holy Trinity Square 1a Lielā Street, Jelgava, LV 3000

Monument to the First President of the Republic of Latvia - Jānis Čakste

 

9e29fe7f11716a027555b80bceeac7a9.jpg

 

Sculptor - Arta Dumpe.
Monument unveiled in 14th November 2003.

Lāčplēsis Monument
Station Park, Jelgava

Lāčplēsis - Monument to the Liberators of Jelgava

 

b78b25db1919cecff552ea91abef4f28.jpg

 

Monument is situated in the park of railway station Jelgava. It was unveiled on November 21, 1992, author - sculptor Andrejs Jansons. Money for the first monument which was unveiledin 1932 was donated by the people and it was sculpted by A. Jansons' father Kārlis Jansons; the monument was entitled "Lāčplēsis (Bear-slayer) and Dark Knight". After World War II the monument was destroyed. A fragment of the monument was found in 1988 and now is exhibited near Jelgava History and Arts museum.

 

Fatestone
Behind the Museum of Art and History named after Ģederts Eliass, 10 Akadēmijas Street, Jelgava
Fatestone
 
8b74371d9b338e54af68a44c4ad7fad5.jpg
 
A fragment of the monument "To the liberators of Jelgava" by Kārlis Jansons now resides next to the Museum of Art and History named after Ģederts Eliass. It is all that is left The monument Lāčplēsis that was destroyed during Soviet occupation.
Monument to Rainis
Rainis Park, Jelgava
Monument to Rainis
 
80b67285181260d84627d50f1b5df4c6.jpg
 
The poet of the Latvian people Jānis Rainis has lived in Jelgava repeatedly from 1891 to 1897 and has worked as assistant attourney to Stērstu Andrejs. The monument by Kārlis Zemdegs was unveiled in 1957.
Monument to painter Ģederts Eliass
Next to Museum of Art and History named after Ģederts Eliass, 10 Akadēmijas Street, Jelgava

Monument to painter Ģederts Eliass

 

6e29802991d08a56b934c59fce1bee93.jpg

 

Authors - J. Zariņš and D. Driba.
The monument was unveiled in 1987.

Sculpture by Jānis Kugra
3 Filozofu Street, Jelgava

Sculpture by Jānis Kugra

 

e8ab7c521ab0d101dcc5b915c5494b3a.jpg

 

Sculpture by Jānis Kugra - woodcarving next to Memorial Museum of Ādolfs Alunāns, 3 Filozofu street.

Two sculptures dedicated to Konrad von Mandern and Ernst Johann Biron
On the bridge over Driksa river, Jelgava

Two sculptures dedicated to Konrad von Mandern and Ernst Johann Biron

 

3d1f3b2b5ebb1929649996b991e55451.jpg

 

The reconstruction the bridge over river Driksa was completed in 2001 and two sculptures were placed at the end of the bridge. One of them is dedicated to the founder of Jelgava Master of Livonian Order - Konrad von Mandern. The secon one is dedicated to Ernst Johann Biron, Duke of Courland who built Jelgava palace.

Monumental stone to Juris Māters
Alunāns Park, Jelgava

Monumental stone to Juris Māters

 

8d5a197662afea87c79401751c527727.jpg

 

This Memorial stone in Alunāns park is dedicated to one of the founders of Jelgava Latvian Society - Juris Māters. His grave that was approximately in the same place had not survived the World Wars so this Monumental stone was placed to remind of the distinguished citizen of Jelgava.

Monument to Ādolfs Alunāns
Alunāns Park, Jelgava

Monument to Ādolfs Alunāns

 

3efc71932f62525711386fe5abc254f5.jpg

 

The Father of Latvian theatre Ādolfs Alunāns was buried in St. John's cemetery which now is Alunāns park. In 1913 a travertine monument funded by donations with a bas-relief by Burkards Dzenis of Ādolfs Alunāns was placed in the resting place of Alunāns.

Love alley
Beside Dobeles Highway, Jelgava
Love alley
 
78d88e32370d805225ea34c5bd4f6c2c.jpg
 
On the left side from Dobeles highway one can see a birch alley which was made to be a symbol of friendship. It was supplemented by two peculiar monuments - slender granite obelisk and marble urn with snakes' motif. Two friends were buried here: Sigismun Georg Schwander, Councillor of the Duke of Courland and Christoph Ludwig Tetsch, Advocate in Jelgava. Nowadays only one of the two monuments remains - the marble urn. Birch alley has been restored and now is a popular place to visit for newly-weds on a wedding day.
Monumental stone to Jelgava's victims of Soviet genocide
Svētbirze, Jelgava

Monumental stone to Jelgava's victims of Soviet genocide

 

2e1742cc0b6c1eaeb864afbc94fd178e.jpg

 

The Monumental stone to Jelgava's victims of Soviet genocide against Latvian people was unveiled in the Svētbirze in 1989.

Monumental stone to the repressed
At Culture house "Rota", 15 Garozas Street, Jelgava
Monumental stone to the repressed
 
bfebd22fa8d79d8a48892a2a0b477725.jpg
 
The Memorial stone to the repressed is placed on the "1930 agricultural achievement exhibition square". This square was the place where Nazi occupation force established a POW camp.
Monumental stone to Jelgava Latvian Society House by Pauls Eplē
7 Katoļu Street, Jelgava
Monumental stone to Jelgava Latvian Society House by Pauls Eplē
 
ccb48e67b3727cb3ad08e8280f6483a2.jpg
 
The Monumental stone to Jelgava Latvian Society House is on Katoļu street next to shopping centre "Kanclera nams". This is the place where Jelgava Latvian Society House by architect Pauls Eplē built in 1909 once was.
Monumental plaque to javelin thrower Jānis Lūsis
2 Vaļņu street, Jelgava

Monumental plaque to javelin thrower Jānis Lūsis

 

5a11da4ba795ffdf7d512cb5d23548be.jpg

 

The plaque in 2 Vaļņu street signifies the building where the Olympic Gold and Silver medalist javelin thrower Jānis Lūsis was born.

Monumental plaque to the former Anna's elementary school
At LUA Technical faculty building, 5 J.Čakstes boulevard, Jelgava
The plaque to the former Anna's elementary school is on the LUA Technical faculty building - the place where Anna's elementary school used to be. It's the school where the first President of Latvia - Jānis Čakste - was a pupil.

Cemeteries

 
Bērzu cemetery

Bērzu (Latvian for birch) cemetery began with the so called Henriete's cemetery. It is where Henriete Albertine - the wife of Dreissen who was the first civil governor of Kurzeme - was buried. She died in 1803 and buried in a splendid sepulchre. The Baron sepulchre is a classicism era architectural monument and is now used for burial ceremonies. After WWII German soldiers who died in the captivity of Soviet prisoner camps were buried in Bērzu cemetery but these graves have not been marked in any way. There are several secular trees by the sepulchre - two beeches, two hornbeams and one eastern white pine.

 

Baložu cemetery

The first graves in Baložu cemetery were dug in the 19th century. Several prominent personas have been buried here, for example, ministers Wilhelm Pantenius and Moritz Conradi, dr. agr. Jānis Mazvērsītis et al.

 

Tabora cemetery

On the corner of Filozofu and Rūpniecības streers is a cemetery where the first graves were dug in 19th century. The deciesed patients of a psychoneurological hospital once called Tabora hospital were buried there. There also used to be a small wooden church called Tabora Krusta (cross) church. Now you can only the foundation in a shape of a cross remains of it. Ludwig Katterfeld - the founder of the hospital - has been buried in Tabora cemetery as well as Latvian Legioneers who died in 1944.

 
Miera street cemetery
83e59686724d5c90ba390bd049c55b2c.jpg

There are several cemeteries on the left side of Miera street (in the direction of Riga). It is a final resting place for soldiers and civilians alike who have died in all wars that have affected Jelgava in the 20th century. When Latvia was a part of the Russian empire it was a garrison cemetery for the Russian army but soldiers who died in WWI and WWII have been buried there also.

 
Ebreju (Jewish) cemetery
bcc2a3f0cfc8cc9088410874214c7eee.jpg
The Jewish cemetery appeared in the beggining of 18th century but was destroyed by Nazi occupation force in WWII. Now there is a monumental stone to remind of the cemetery.
 
Cemetery of the revolutionaries of 1905 

The cemetery is a burial site of the revolutionaries of the upheavals of 1905 to 1907 who were sentenced to death by a war tribunal and buried outside of cemeteries that had recieved the blessing of the church. Next to this cemetery people who renounced their christian faith were buried. That is why it was colloquially known as socail democrat cemetery. There is a monument by sculptor Ella Leimane at the cemetery that was unveiled in 1955.

 
Staļplača cemetery
Staļplača (stable place) cemetery has graves dating back to the 18th century. Nowadays it has grown into a forest.

Pareizticīgo (orthodox) cemetery 
e529f61d748e842a4a09609476699ec0.jpg
Built in the end of 19th century Orthodox church of the Repose of the Virgin has a cemetery. Nearer the railroad used to be the Tēviņu cemetery but nowadays there are buildings.
Meža cemetery 
f3c19b361c2d0970473d98297f17dfb3.jpg

In 1913 Nikolai's cemetery was renamed Vienotības (unity) cemetery and consecrated by dean Reinhard who died in Soviet occupation in 1944. Now there is a symbolic burial dedicated to him and a small cemetery church which is nowadays used for burial ceremonies.

Zanderu cemetery
The cemetery is located between  Svēte River and Dobeles Highway. It is one of the biggest cemeteries in Jelgava.
 

Norauku cemetery

The graveyard is next to Zanderu cemetery. In it the soldiers of the Red Army who were fell in WWII were reburied. There are also the remains of Turkish POWs of the Russo-Turkish war in mid 19th century as well as people from Jelgava who died in a cholera epidemic in the 19th century.